100 Years of Excellence

  • 22 October 1875 first sees the light of day as son of an architect
  • 1890 - 1892 apprentice fitter with Gebr. Claussen, an engineering company in Wesselburen / Norderdithmarschen
  • 1892 - 1894 journeyman fitter in Altona and Berlin
  • 1894 - 1896 state College for Engineers in Hildburghausen / Thuringia
  • 1896 - 1897 technical designer in Spandau
  • 1897 - 1898 technical designer in Berlin
  • 1898 appointed Works Engineer at the Alsen Portland Cement Works in Itzehoe
  • 1900 Senior Engineer and Technical Manager in charge of Alsen's newly erected cement works in Catskill, New York
  • 1904 Marries Ida Baasch, who later gives birth to two children, Harold and Ina (who subsequently marries Johannes W. Grapengiesser)
  • 1906 Claudius Peters establishes his eponymous company in Hamburg, Germany.
  • 1907 Registration of the company in the Hamburg Commercial Register and appointment of a Commercial Assistant with statutory powers
  • 1920 Move to new offices in the Wallhof on Glockengießerwall, appointment of a lady clerk and a technician to assist the senior engineer appointed one year previously.
  • 1930/31 Depression forces wage and salary cuts of 15-20%.
  • 1933 Claudius Peters AG is formed. The shares are held by the Peters family and the British engineering group, Babcock. The Fuller company is acquired.
  • 1936 Appointment of Johannes 'Jonny' Grapengiesser as commercial assistant. He will marry Claudius Peters' daughter in 1940.
  • 1939 The company has a staff of 34, but this is reduced after WW2 to 23 in 1946.
  • 1951/52 Major export orders for coolers and mills are acquired.
  • 1952 Purchase of the Liebigstrasse pilot plant and also of warehouse space
  • 1954 A manufacturing facility is established at Buxtehude, 30km from Hamburg.
  • 1950 The first Claudius Peters cement cooler is installed
  • 1950 to 1955 Sales rise by 300%, staff increases to 157
  • 1955  Move to City-Hof Block A, followed by renting of additional space in Spaldingstrasse, Frankenstr. and City-Hof Block
  • 1957 Following Cladius Peters death, Johannes W. Grapengießer and Otto Wulf are appointed Executive Directors of CPAG. The staff increases to 174.
  • 1957/58 Global agents are appointed and branch offices are opened for provision of technical services and advice to customers in Germany and other countries (Europe, Near East, Asia, South America)
  • 1961 Johannes W. Grapengiesser becomes sole Executive Director following the death of Otto Wulf.
  • 1961/62 Staff of CPAG increases to 301 and Este to 220. Construction of industrial furnaces commences. The company becomes involved in refinery construction.
  • 1963 The first punched card data processing system is commissioned.
  • 1964 Annual sales DM50,500,000.
  • 1966 Move to new office building in Hamburg's City Nord
  • 1974 Claudius Peters S.A. Is established in Paris, France
  • 1975 The whole of the Assembly Department (with theexception of a small 'rearguard') transferred to Buxtehude. Pilot plant also transferred from Hamburgto Buxtehude. Maschinenfabrik Este GmbH is renamed Claudius Peters Este GmbH. Claudius Peters Steine Erden GmbH and Claudius Peters Verfahrenstechnische Anlagen GmbH founded.
  • 1976 Claudius Peters (Iberica) S.A. is founded in Madrid, Spain. Claudius Peters Inc is founded in Milwaukee, USA
  • 1977/78 CP America Inc. moves from Milwakee to Dallas. Group now consists of 7 German and 4 foreign
    companies. Staff of CP Este has risen to 400.
    Claudius Peters do Brasil Ltda is founded
  • 1980 The company commences stringer manufacture for Airbus Industrie 
  • 1985 Claudius Peters Italia SRL is founded
  • 1986 Babcock International merges with FKI Electricals.
  • 1988 Claudius Peters AG moves entirely to Buxtehude.
  • 1990 Babcock International acquires Consilium Group
  • 1992 PHB Someral acquired by Claudius Peter France
  • 1994 Claudius Peters AG renamed Babcock Materials Handling AG. Claudius Peters France moves from Paris to Illzach.Subsidiary in China is established. Claudius Peters Singapore is founded
  • 1996 Company renamed BMH Claudius Peters AG to emphasize membership of Babcock Materials Handling division.
  • 1999 AG converted to a GmbH
  • 2002 the Company is acquired by the privately owned British engineering group, Langley Holdings PLC.
  • 2004 Company restructured into Claudius Peters Technologies GmbH and Claudius Peters Projects GmbH, both subsidiaries of Claudius Peters Group GmbH.
  • 2005 Claudius Peters office CP Romania SRL opens in Romania and India.
  • 2006 461 staff now employed in Buxtehude. CP Group has some 600 employees throughout the world.
  • 2013 Claudius Peters office CP Automation Romania opens in Romania.